Friday, April 17, 2009

The Point

I would rather work with five people who really believe in what they are doing rather than five hundred who can't see the point. - Patrick Dixon in Building a Better Business

Ability, efficiency, and passion. Those three things can make something work. It’s tough to get by with only two of them, but of the three, passion may be the most important. When you’re missing passion, no amount of ability or efficiency will get you it. If you’ve got passion, though, you’ll get the ability and efficiency, if you have to, because it’s important to you to do so. This is true in many, many places. Who’s going to practice football plays for hours on end? The one with the ability or the one with the passion? Who’s going to spend their nights learning and relearning business strategies? The one who’s efficient or the one who’s passionate? Ability can be learned. Innate talent cannot, but ability can be. Efficiency can be learned, usually at a high cost if you’re not careful, but it can be learned. Passion cannot be learned.

If you can’t see the point in what you’re doing, do something else. In my opinion, a Future without passion about something, isn’t worth living.

1 comment:

Galen said...

Passion has helped me excel in my career, but it's also caused me to lose several jobs. Employers say they want this quality in their people but I've found they only want it if there is no hint of deviation from their own visions. The passionate yes-man will do well.

I'm putting my passion to better use by pursuing my own business goals, too. I've failed many times over the years, but it's my passion -- my belief that I can succeed and my strong desire to -- that keep me going.

Passion is a double edged sword. But I usually admire it in people. It's a sign of a life well spent and cherished.