Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Finishing What You Start

I've often had a problem finishing what I start. It all sounds so good at the beginning. I have plans, I'm excited about the project, and then somewhere close to the end, things go downhill. My enthusiasm wanes, problems come up, and I just don't want to do it. Looking back over the past, I know that I've had this problem often, and I see that I'm doing it with this blog. 3 posts a week plus an extra every other weekend, but this month has been very difficult for me to do. Last Thursday, I put up Wednesday's post, admitting I made a mistake rather than just glossing over it. Last Friday, I didn't post, nor did I put up a substitute post any time later. Monday, again, I didn't post, but I am putting up a post on Tuesday to make up for it. I am getting better at keeping my commitments.

I don't feel that I have to finish everything I start, though. I've had that problem, too, and they're related. An obligation to continue doing something I don't enjoy bugs me, and when I don't have an "out", I get rebellious and refuse to do it (in a passive aggressive, rather wussy sort of way). I've gotten better about that, too. If I think a book sucks, I stop reading it rather than forcing myself to go to the end just because I started it. If I think a movie sucks, I stop watching it. I have better things to do with my time than read or watch lousy entertainment. I'm also starting to develop enough respect for myself than to force myself into doing what I don't want to and don't need to for my goals. There are commitments I have right now that I really don't feel like keeping, but as part of my goals and plans for my life, I need to keep them, and thus I will. It will take a bunch of pokes and prods to do it, but I'm up for it.

Do you have a problem either with finishing what you start or not respecting yourself to say "enough"? There are a lot of unfinished craft projects lurking in the closets of America because people began them, don't want to finish them, but don't want to not finish them either. Limbo is a lousy place for a goal, and it ties up your energy and time. "If I'm not doing it, how does it tie up my time?" Do you think about it? How much guilt do you have over it? How much time did you spend hiding it in the back of your closet so you wouldn't see it and feel guilty? How often have you thought about cleaning your closet out but decided not to, perhaps because then you'd have to see it again? Stuff likes not just dust but also thoughts, especially unfinished stuff. Finish it or get rid of it, but take care of your commitments.

No comments: