Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Whether You Like It Or Not

Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the things you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not... - Thomas H. Huxley

I do find this to be a major benefit in my life, though it’s been severely lagging of late. Many things in life can have a benefit, even if it isn’t a direct benefit. I don’t use geometry much, but the methods of looking at things logically and taking things step by step is very useful, and those methods I used in geometry. I don’t use my social studies much, but it’s very helpful to have a basic background knowledge about our nation’s and world’s history when looking at the political situations today. But perhaps the most useful thing is as Huxley says – the continuous practice of doing something that needs to be done, on time, even when I don’t want to. There’s a lot of life that’s dull and dreary, but it needs to be done – dishes, dusting, visiting the in-laws. Education can help teach you to suck it up and get it over with so you can party with the rest of your time. Life is willing to teach you that lesson, too, but at a higher cost.

No comments: