Friday, July 17, 2009

Bitter Tears

The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone. - Harriet Beecher Stowe

I get why people don’t say or do things that, on their deathbed, they wish they had. I have a few of those floating around in my life myself. It’s because you don’t want to deal with the consequences. I wish I’d gone on that second honeymoon with my lovely wife. Ah, but then you would have had to pay all those bills and perhaps put your job at risk because you took time off. I wish I’d told that handsome fellow that I loved him. Ah, but then you would have risked rejection, perhaps brief, but perhaps humiliating and frequent, depending on who witnessed it. I wish I’d finished my schooling or had kids or things like that. But those things take time, and you make choices each day that determine how you spend your time.

A relationship can be the best thing that ever happened to you, or it could turn out disastrous and ruin a friendship. Starting your own business could be a grand adventure, or you could end up bankrupt, or both. You could have spent hundreds of hours writing your novel that no one would publish. There are a lot of “what if”’s in the world.

There’s a lot of living you could be doing right now, if you just gave it a chance. You will fail, repeatedly, and you will succeed, repeatedly, but you will be living. You will be shaping your Future as you wish it to be. Good luck to you. Tomorrow is a grand adventure.

1 comment:

Galen said...

And to you, my friend.