Monday, July 13, 2009

The Challenge and My Job

I’m dissatisfied with my job. It’s an okay job with really good benefits and a decent salary, but it’s boring. I am typing this at my job because I ran out of work over an hour ago, and that’s after I took a day off during the middle of fiscal year end. I’d be surprised if they fired me, because I’m not the last hired, but I wouldn’t be shocked. The most surprising part would be that they finally realized that I have this much free time. I’ve told them. I’m not keeping it a secret or anything, and I’ve asked, practically begged, for more work to do, but there isn’t any. So, I sit at my desk, waiting for someone to need something from me. It’s been wearing on my work ethics and my morale.

I’d like something that’s more challenging, something that uses my talents, something that makes me go to work with a smile on my face. And I’ve wanted this for some time. I’ve been spinning my wheels trying to figure out what I should do next, because I’ve been jumping to and from jobs like this for over a decade now. I have no expectation that the next job will be anything different unless I figure out what it is I want. So, no jumping until I figure it out.

But, I was still trying frantically to figure it out. I was reading job books like mad, looking online at job databases, taking quizzes and questionnaires, and none of it made any difference because I was too busy hopping to the next source of information to bother really taking a look at the options I had already uncovered.

Since I’m not going to make any decisions for 6 months about my job, unless the perfect job falls into my lap, then I don’t need to get books or search databases or take quizzes. I can sit back and breathe for a while. And I can research the options that I’ve already uncovered without the pressing “how soon can I do this”, but instead with the more relaxed “does this sound perfect for me?” Because if it’s not perfect, then I don’t have to worry about it. I can simply enjoy gaining more knowledge, and maybe figure it out anyway.

No comments: