Friday, March 13, 2009

Another Death

Two weeks after I put down my female cat, I had to put down my male cat. He also had a mass in his abdomen, but one of a different type. Putting him down was both easier and harder than putting down her. It was easier because I had already made the choice once wit a previous pet and because I had heard him screaming in pain, while with her, she was the first pet for whom I’d ever had to make that decision and she sulked a lot and didn’t display her pain as vividly. It was harder because I loved him more. She was my pet, and I loved her, but he was my baby boy and always will be. They’re better off now, and I’m not, but that’s sometimes what you have to do. Sometimes you have to take care of yourself, and sometimes you have to take care of others. As much as I wanted to keep them around, doing so would be cruel.

No comments: