Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Inertia (emotional investment)

It takes time and energy to start a new computer game. New rules to learn, time taken to play it, at least a little bit of concentration (at least for the games I enjoy). Some computer games eat up hours a day. So why don’t I take some time out to exercise or write or post on time or whatever?

It’s because of the emotional investment and the immediate gratification in return. I have no emotional investment in a new computer game or a murder mystery or a movie (usually). All I have to give it is time and attention. That’s not that difficult. On top of which, it immediately rewards me with fun and distraction, often laughter. It’s cotton candy, not nutritious, but sweet to eat. Exercise doesn’t give me an immediate rush. It’s work. And my mind is still free to think while I do it. And what does it think about? Well, I’m exercising, which means I’m trying to reshape my body and work off calories, which means my body isn’t right the way it is, which means my body is wrong, which reminds me of all the people who have told me I’m ugly or unattractive or plain just too fat, and why do I want to do something that’s constantly reminding me I’m fat, even if it is something that will cause me to become less fat, more shapely, and healthier? I’ve been on an exercise regimen that I’ve been following very faithfully for the past few years, despite those thoughts (except for the past horrific month). I keep my mind occupied with other things, trying to be “mindful” of my exercising some days, day dreaming about my favorite TV shows others. I still beat myself up on occasion about exercising – I should do it more often, I should use heavier weights, I should, I should, I should, I should, but really, those are mostly voices from my past, from others, and are judging and/or condemning, and I’ve been working for over a decade to disentangle myself from those kinds of voices, and I’m doing pretty well at it. So I do exercise, because the long-term benefits outweigh the short-term negatives, and because I’ve been doing it long enough that I see some results.

Now, I’ve done this in the past. There have been other exercise regimens that I’ve picked up and laid down, usually after a long period of time. So I have personal knowledge that if I keep going with my exercise routine, I would see results. But I had to try and “fail” time and again in order to get that knowledge, in order to have enough of a reason to fight the inertia that would keep me sleeping a little later rather than working out.

Right now, I’m going on about 4 weeks since I last exercised consistently. Tube feeding my cat was much more important than exercising. Taking care of my mourning and (as it turned out) dying second cat was much more important than exercising. Taking time for my own mourning for my two cats was more important, and right now, exercising while I have a bad cold would just exhaust me too much to go to work, which is more important than exercising. But I see the signs that if I don’t start back up again, inertia may decide that I won’t start up again, so it will be soon. While I’m sick, I’ll do just a little, but enough to keep me in the habit of doing something. And then I’ll add it back in slowly but surely. I was able to pick it back up after a long time off after my surgery two years ago. I can pick it back up after a mere month.

1 comment:

Galen said...

Go walking with a friend. See you soon. :-)