Monday, March 09, 2009

Loving

So, how do you love someone? In that famous poem that a whole lot of high school students know the first and second lines to, and a sprinkling of others know the rest, the poet talked about the expanse of her emotions, but not about what she does that is the verb “love”. Love is a verb as well as an emotion, and it’s the verb I’m talking about today.

I loved my husband when I stayed up late to take him to work, even though I ended up dog tired at my own job the next day. I love my parents when I write them every month, even if I don’t have anything to say, other than “love you”. I love my friends when I invite them over to my place to hang out and play games and talk. I love my cats when I take care of them, feeding them, giving them medicine, doing my damnedest to make her well again, and letting her go when I needed to. I love myself when I set up exercise routines and clean the house so that it’s healthy for me, and when I am very gentle with myself during the rough times and let those things slide for a little while.

I have been loved by my friends who drove me to the vet and stayed with me when my cat died. I have been loved by my brother and sister-in-law when they invited me over for my first Christmas alone. I have been loved by my parents when they told me sincerely that I could always live with them for a while or a long time if that’s what I needed. I have been loved by pets throughout my life, by lovers and a husband, and by many friends both here and gone by their actions and their words and their presence.

Love yourself with your emotions, your thoughts, and most importantly your actions. Practice on others if you have to first. Practice on yourself if you have to first. But create more loving actions in your life, and your Future will be more loving in both feelings and deeds.

1 comment:

Galen said...

Well put.