Wednesday, April 16, 2008

More Harmony

First off, what do I mean by more harmony? It’s difficult to create more of something if I don’t know what it is. I can define it in negative terms – fewer wars, fewer hate crimes, etc. But, I’m trying to be positive, to create rather than destroy. What do I mean by more harmony?

More tolerance for your fellow man, no matter what their religion, political views, or sexual orientation. More negotiations between splintering factions. More “live and let live” philosophers. More acceptance of the non-harmful portions of another’s life, even if they disagree with mine.

Now, I’m not saying that I will tolerate those who think that rape is acceptable, no matter how they claim it’s a political view, or a religious right, or however else they justify it in their own heads. There are plenty of other things that I will not tolerate, also. I’m talking about those views and actions that do not harm anyone, do not destroy.

Again, the best way I can create more harmony in the world is to create more harmony in myself. I will need to tolerate and accept. Perhaps I will be a shining example to others. Perhaps I will be a safe haven for those who face hatred all around them. Or perhaps I will merely keep a little bit of hate out of the world. No matter how grand a scope of my tolerance and harmony, the Future will be at least a little bit better because of it.

No comments: