Monday, April 14, 2008

More Safety

How do you create more safety in the world? Or, more precisely, how do I create more safety in the world since I am the one who wants it?

I wear my seat belt. I drive a reasonable speed. I make my passengers wear their seat belts. I look both ways before crossing the road. I support laws and lawmakers that promote safety in the world. I refuse to buy products from companies that put the Earth in danger. I take care when using a knife. I stay sober when I drive. I pay attention when I cook. I don’t smoke, so I have no worries about cigarettes burning outside of ashtrays. I make certain that any candles I light are out when I am through. I put away things where they belong so others don’t trip.

I act in favor of shelters for battered spouses and kids. I support places where homeless can go to get off the streets. I support those who speak out against domestic violence. I tell others about self defense classes that are available. I remind myself of my own self defense training and keep fit enough to use it if I need to. I advise friends to leave abusers. I give them any support they need from me to do so – an ear, a place to stay, hands to help move.

I do what I can where I can when I can to ensure that everyone has a safe life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.